It’s been awhile so I thought it was time for
another update.
As the title of this blog suggests, I’ve had a
bumpy road since my surgery happened on April 20, but nothing the doctors here
at TGH haven’t been on top of immediately. I had a routine bronchoscopy (lung transplant patients must have these done periodically) on May 15 and they found my lungs going into a very mild rejection which at this point in time is not unusual or unexpected but is treated aggressively to prevent further rejection.
I was put on 800 mg. of a prednisone-like steroid called solu-mederol intravenously for a 3 days in a row. The treatment did the trick but not without some side effects like restlessness and crying. The most noticeable side-effect of course, was that my face got a round moon shape and was so puffy that I looked like a puffball. It has since gone down some but not completely yet.
I also required two units of blood since my hemoglobin was low (anemia).
About a week later I started not feeling so good,
a severe lack of energy and muscular weakness which progressed to a headache of migraine
proportions with nausea and constant vomiting. We decided to go to the ER at TGH where I
was admitted with an infection. I had some pneumonia and they found empyemas which are pockets of infection in the pleural sac surrounding the lungs. I was put on three kinds of heavy hitter antibiotics intravenously, and then
they inserted tubes in my back to drain the excess fluid and pus.
Everything is progressing albeit slowly and I’m
hopeful that I will be discharged soon.
I am amazed at how much better I am feeling now
that most of the fluid is gone and the antibiotics have started to work.
I can’t wait to get home and have a chance to start enjoying my new
lungs. Spring is pretty well gone but I am looking forward to some of those lazy hazy summer days that are coming up.
I want to say thank you to all my family and friends for all the love and support I have received during this whole ordeal.
I also want to thank everyone who
contributed to, planned and attended the fund-raiser for me in May. Your
hard work, your caring your generosity is so very much
appreciated. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.I want to say thank you to all my family and friends for all the love and support I have received during this whole ordeal.
I am going to post a few pictures of me and my
family waiting to hear whether the surgery was a go and then some of me
immediately following my surgery.
I don’t have any recent pictures but when I
get home I will take a few now that I’m feeling well.
Bye for now and I will update again soon.
Waiting to hear if the surgery is a go
Still waiting to hear if the surgery is a go
IMMEDIATELY AFTER MY DOUBLE LUNG TRANSPLANT
I’M AMAZED AT ALL THE MACHINES IT TOOK TO HELP ME RECOVER. TRULY A
MEDICAL MIRACLE!!

No comments:
Post a Comment