Monday, 20 January 2014



Posted on October 29, 2012 by Gale
 

I got a lovely compliment on Friday from the transplant coordinator.  I was told that they were impressed with how well I have done complying with everything I have been asked to do.  I know that I, like many others who are trying to get listed,  have tried very hard to comply with everything we had any control over.  And believe me, there are so few things with this awful disease that I feel like I have any control over that it felt good to do whatever I could.  Sort of like jumping from one hurdle to the next till you reach your goal!
What am I talking about you may be wondering.  Well I’m gonna tell you whether you were wondering or not *wink*

My first hurdle was when my oldest girl, Laurie, who  is a nurse and knows how important exercise is to keep the body healthy, after hearing my diagnosis, asked the respirologist  if there were any pulmonary exercise programs available in our area.  I looked at her like she had just grown another head.  I could hardly walk and breathe, how the heck would I be able to exercise?  But lo and behold, there was just such a program at Freeport Hospital called the Pulmonary Rehab Program.  The actual course lasted 8 weeks and then graduates could go to the rehab gym 3 times a week after that.  So in January Eric and I trucked off to Freeport every Monday to Friday for 8 weeks.  We met the most wonderful people who were also having a hard time breathing and we all learned how to deal with shortness of breath and the various treatments available.  We also shared with each other what has and has not helped.  Much to my astonishment, I was able to do some exercises.  The staff started me off slowly and adjusted my oxygen as needed and before I knew it I was using a number of the workout machines.  As long as I have these diseased lungs I’ll never be able to run a marathon or even walk fast, but by pacing myself and using my walker to get around I have continued with the exercises 2-3 times a week and I feel better off for it.  Soon I will have to start going to Toronto General to exercise there but for now I will just keep on keeping on.

The next big hurdle for me was when I went for my first apointment in Toronto.  I was so naiive that I thought that my doctor here would phone or fax the doctor there, tell them I needed a transplant and one would be arranged immediately.  Ok, maybe I knew it wouldn’t be quite that simple but not so very far off.  I’m not kidding.  I have since learned that the doctor I see there is a wonderful, knowledgable and compassionate person but on that first visit I was stymied by what he said.  He was very straightforward to the point of being blunt.  He told me that this transplant, if it happens, is not a cure but a treatment.  He said when the transplant works and people are diligent about their med regime after, they can have a number of good years (although 5 years is the median number they give).  Some have lived 10 or 15 or more years.  BUT, when it goes badly, it can get very ugly.  So we have to be aware of the risks going into this because this is not a piece of cake operation.  The surgery lasts about 8 hours and is hard on the body.  The anti-rejection drugs and anti-inflammatory drugs I will have to be on for the rest of my life are potent and absolutely necessary to stay alive.  They can eventually affect and even damage other organs. In other words, my whole lifestyle will change.  But if successful, I’ll be alive and I’ll be able to breathe without needing extra oxygen and I’ll have my life back. Only I can decide it the benefits outweigh the risks for me.

Then he dropped the biggest hurdle at my feet.  I was overweight.  They simply will not operate on me at this weight because history shows transplanted people who are overweight do not do well after.  So I was told me that I had to lose a minimum of 50 pounds to be considered for a transplant.  The more I lost after that, well it’s icing on the cake because the surgery will be that much easier.  Another 20 pounds for a total of 70 would be ideal but the minumum is 50.  I remember saying to  my husband Eric on the way out of the hospital, “well if he was trying to scare me, it worked.”  I was confused and scared and I cried a good deal of the way home.  It was a cold, gray, rainy, yucky  February day and it fit my mood perfectly as we drove home.  Sometime in the next couple days though, I stopped with my little pity party and I decided that not only did I need this operation but that I had a right to this second chance at life that having this surgery would give me.  I understood what the consequences and complications were and I decided I was willing to take my chances because really, when it comes right down to it, without it I will die, so I have nothing to lose!   I decided that I  was going to darn well fight for my right to have it.  I knew if I put my mind to it I could lose that 50 pounds.  In fact, like I said before, it felt good to have something I could take control of and do it.

I’m happy to report that by the end of August I had lost the weight, and they agreed to send me for the diagnostic tests to make sure I was healthy enough to have the operation.  I am still losing and I have qualified for and been accepted to the lung transplant program.  I still have a hard time getting my head around that statement.  They are going to take out the lungs I was born with and put somebody else’s lungs into my chest, right next to my heart. Mind boggling and miraculous and frightening and totally wonderful and maybe even a little exotic because they use  such unconventional and cutting-edge technology that really is a mystery to most of us.   These are world-renowned surgeons who helped pioneer and refine the lung transplant surgery to the point it is at today and I think there is an aura of awe around them as well.  Well at least for me there is.

Anyway, I really am confident that I will not only adjust to this new reality of mine, but come though this ordeal with flying colours.  I’m prepared to make the lifestyle changes I will have to make so that I will see my grandchildren grow, I’ll be able to enjoy quality time with my family, my friends and my hubby Eric and I will get to enjoy our retirement together.

And as a very important aside, God bless all those heroes out there who have agreed to donate their organs at the time of their death.  Without their generosity and compassion, none of this could happen at all, for any of us who so desparately need them.  If you are not already an organ donor, please take a few minutes to sign up and you too can be a hero!  Just click the link below.  It only takes a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment