This post is a little different. It is not a
health update because I felt like I needed to not talk about that
tonight. Come with me as I take a relaxed little stroll down memory
lane.
I had a laugh on Christmas Day at a comment one of
my daughters made. She said she and her sister only had one rule when
they bought a gift for me this year. It had to be shiny
stuff. Anyone who knows me knows I like bling. I’m referring
to anything shiny, glittery or sparkly. I love it.
You can probably tell that I’m easily amused and I
came to the realization earlier today that my obsession with sparkle started in
my childhood. It’s all your fault Ma! *grin*
I was reflecting on my childhood fascination with
all that glitters. Many of my favourite toys and possessions were bright
and sparkly. This is where I start reminiscing so you may want to get
yourself a drink and something to eat before you continue
reading. No, no, just kidding, it won’t be that long, I’ll try
to be succinct.
By the way, I happen to like the word
succinct so NO complaints about it please, and you two know who you are!
One of my favourite memories is from when I used to
visit my Grandma Ferguson as a kid and this one time she decided to sort
out her jewellery box. I think she was trying to think of ways to
keep me from being bored although usually just feeding me did the
trick. LOL She had so many pretty things and I was fascinated
with all the sparkly jewellery she had in there. She had a brooch with
one or two of the small rhinestones missing but it didn’t matter because I
still thought it was the prettiest brooch I had ever seen.
She asked me if I would like it and I pounced on it with great enthusiasm. I couldn’t believe my good luck! I wore it all day and when I got home I pinned it on my doll’s dress so I could watch it when the light caught it. When I think about all the gifts she must have given me over the years and yet the one I remember best is a sparkly brooch with a couple missing rhinestones.
Another time my mom bought me and my sister
Bonnie these toy high heelsShe asked me if I would like it and I pounced on it with great enthusiasm. I couldn’t believe my good luck! I wore it all day and when I got home I pinned it on my doll’s dress so I could watch it when the light caught it. When I think about all the gifts she must have given me over the years and yet the one I remember best is a sparkly brooch with a couple missing rhinestones.
that were held on by sliding your foot through two lengths of elastic attached to each shoe.
There were also matching earrings. Mine were bright red and I think Bonnie’s were blue but the best part of them was that they were really vibrant colours and they had these little gold flecks embedded into the plastic that would make them glitter. The earrings would clip on and dangle so you could shake your head a lot and really catch the gold fleck in the sunlight. Oh I used to love those things. We would prance up and down wearing our high heels and earrings and making ourselves a dandelion necklace and bracelet
to go with it. I even had a shiny red purse with a quilted pattern on the front that someone gave me as a gift so I would wear that to complete my ensemble. Oh did I know how to shine!
Another really nice memory is the year we got
teenage dolls for Christmas which were just an earlier version of Barbie dolls
but about twice, maybe even three times the size of the modern day
Barbie. Mine came with a very pretty party dress, nylon stockings
complete with a seam up the back and she was also wearing high heels; but
the kicker for me was that she had on a pair of dangly earrings that
looked like diamonds and which were actually attached somehow right to her
ears. She also wore a matching pendant necklace. I thought
she was just the prettiest doll I had ever seen and I played with her a
lot.
Eventually the necklace broke and one of the earrings fell out and I just kind of lost interest in her after that. In fact I think I cut her hair off which of course would have ruined it. Hmph! Serves her right, that’s what she gets for being careless with her jewellery!
Eventually I graduated from dolls to dating and
when Eric and I had been dating for awhile, he bought me a
beautiful black diamond going steady ring for my birthday and for Christmas he
got me a bracelet and earrings that were all yellow and green and gold
rhinestones that shimmered so beautifully when I wore them. On our
wedding day I wore the most glittery crystal earrings and a matching
crystal tiara I could find.Eventually the necklace broke and one of the earrings fell out and I just kind of lost interest in her after that. In fact I think I cut her hair off which of course would have ruined it. Hmph! Serves her right, that’s what she gets for being careless with her jewellery!
Over the years I have worked on filling my own
jewellery box. I got on a Fifth Avenue jewellery kick for awhile (they
really do have pretty jewellery) and now when my grandchildren watch me open my
jewellery box to sort it out it fairly pops and sparks with glitz and bling and
I can see the same look in their eyes that I had in mine all those years ago.
So my daughters know me well when they
decided to buy me shiny stuff. I got a jewelled compact and an owl brooch
with gold rhinestones for wings and crystal glasses that are too sparkly to be
hidden away so I’m going to put them in my china cabinet. My hubby even
got me two t-shirts with designs on the front made from sequins.I am a happy woman and I even promise not to get too close to your car mirrors on a sunny day so I don’t blind you.








No comments:
Post a Comment