PHYSIO
PHYSIO PHYSIO
Time for an update! As you can tell from the title of this post, my new focus is physio. Three times a week and more when I can fit it in at home. I am limited to some degree in how much I can do because of my breathing and because of the secondary pulmonary hypertension. The physiotherapists use a Borg Scale to decide what degree of intensity I should work at. The scale goes something like this:
I was told not to go above a 3. I reach
3 very quickly on the treadmill or when walking so I have significantly
lowered the speed of the treadmill and increased my oxygen from
8 litres to 12 while using it or when I’m walking. I have also
started using a wheelchair occasionally if I have a difficult day and I can’t
seem to walk more than a few feet without getting winded. On the stationary
bike and when using the arm weights and ankle weights I can keep my oxygen
at about 8 litres. Same with my stretches. Strengthening all my
muscles is extremely important because I will need to use all the muscles in my
arms and legs to assist me in getting up and out of bed or out of a
chair. Unfortunately the body loses some muscle tone just from having the
surgery so the more toned and fit I can make myself the better off I will
be.
Speaking of Borg Scale, I really embarrassed myself
last time I went to see my local respirologist for a follow up
visit. I was explaining to him what the team in Toronto were doing and I
actually asked him (a lung doctor mind you) if he knew what the Borg scale
is. That’s like asking a gynecologist if he knows what stirrups
are. LOL!!!! When I realized how dorky I must have
sounded I just said, “Well DUH! Of course you would know what that
is! Please excuse my stupidity. I must have turned 3 shades of
red. Oh well, live, learn and laugh.
One of the physiotherapists in the treadmill room
at TGH said she will arrange for me to start going to a local facility at
Freeport hospital here in Kitchener twice a week for physio. I will still
have to go to Toronto physio once a week so they can continue to
moniter me. I think Wednesday morning sounds like a good time so that I
can go to support group after.
There will still be many other appointments in
Toronto that I will have to attend like monthly clinic, etc. but at least
this helps cut the number of trips. Guess that just about brings everyone up to
date so far. Check back for updates often. Wishing everyone a very
Happy and Prosperous New Year.

No comments:
Post a Comment