I’m sitting here this evening trying to distract my thoughts away from a
discussion that I hope took place today at
Toronto General Hospital (TGH). Actually it should have taken place last week but..hmm..I’m jumping ahead of myself. Allow me to explain.
In September we (my hubby and I) spent a week going back and forth to
TGH so I could have a large assortment of diagnostic tests and blood work done.
In addition we had to meet the transplant coordinator, anaesthetist, social
worker, physiotherapist and dietician as well. It was a busy and
hectic week but a necessary evil because these are the tests that will
determine if I qualify to have a double lung transplant and be put on the transplant
list. And so we waited. The expression should not be the
agony of defeat..nope..it should be the agony of waiting. But nevermind
because the wait is necessary and a good lesson in patience and
self-discipline. Pay attention to those italicized words. You
may see them again!
I was told that I would be discussed at the weekly meeting last Thursday
and the coordinator would notify me by Monday or Tuesday of this week.
When I still had not heard by late afternoon on Tuesday I phoned only to be
told that because they had two more urgent cases to discuss, I had to be
bumped. I understood why they did what they did but still, the waiting
has been agony but necessary and a good lesson in patience and
self-discipline. See? I warned you.
She said my case will be discussed this Thursday Octber 25th so I said
ok and when will I hear the decision? She promised to phone me by noon
tomorrow, October 26. Again, the waiting is agony but necessary and a
good lesson in patience and self-discipline. Are those words starting
to sound familiar yet?
Once I get listed, IF I get listed, it should be easier because then all
I will have to do is …hmm..oh yeah..wait, this time for lungs
to become available. Not easier after all I suppose but (are you ready
for it? let’s all say it together) the wait is necessary and a good
lesson in patience and self-discipline.
Wow am I going to be a strong, patient, disciplined person when this is
done. Why I’ll practically have discipline coming out the
wazoo. Joking about it helps me cope but the fact is, this is
one very big waiting game and I’m just going to have to learn to deal with it.
So I’ll post on here tomorrow as soon as I find out but until then
you’ll just have to wait and … well you know the drill. *grin*

No comments:
Post a Comment