Monday, 20 January 2014



Posted on January 6, 2013 by Gale

 
Well Christmas is all put away for another year and the New Year has begun. I’m excited about what adventures it will bring.
We are almost back to our normal routine, well our new normal routine which is Monday and Friday morning out to Freeport for physio and Wednesday morning when  you can see us whizzing down the Gardiner on our way to  Toronto General. 
Actually that is more wishful thinking that a factual statement.   The odd time we are able to whiz but most of the time we hit morning rush hour so it’s more like lurch forward, slam on the brake, lurch forward, slam on the brake.  We get there eventually but it makes for an interesting ride, especially when someone wants to cut in front of us without warning.

When I exercise I find I can do almost anything if I’m sitting, like the stationary bike, the stretches and using the arm and ankle weights.  However things like using the treadmill or even just walking completely wipes me out and leaves me breathless and exhausted.  

I was very fortunate to have a wheelchair given to me a little while ago and I have found it necessary recently to use it if I know there will be a lot of walking involved in an outing.  

I’m trying to adjust to the idea of needing the wheelchair sometimes but then  I remember back to when I first started using the walker. I didn’t really think I needed to use it either, but I finally got my head around the idea when my 81 year old mom and I were walking down the hall together and she had to keep stopping so I could catch up!  Talk about a wake-up call.  I still laugh every time I remember it and I bet she could still out-walk me now even with me using the walker!  So, I’ll use the walker when I can, but when necessary, wheelchair it is.  One thing I love about this wheelchair is that it meets my bling test because it’s a bright shiny red.

I figure if I have to ride in one it might as well be colourful.  Truthfully, I have to admit that I have been very grateful for it when I stare down those never-ending hospital hallways.
 
On a different note we spent a quiet New Year’s Eve. at home but we were up to welcome in the New Year and received a call from my daughter Laurie and the grandkids on the stroke of 12. My 7 year old grandson Nathan was so proud of himself for being able to stay awake that long. Emma, 12 and Brianna, 11, both proudly informed me that this is the 3rd year in a row they saw a new year.  I guess they are classified as seasoned pros now.

Earlier in the day my Uncle Bob and my sister Bonnie visited. It was great to see both of them and I really enjoyed our visit and catching up with them.   New Year’s Day both my daughters, my son-in-law and all three grandchildren were here for supper.  We had mouth-watering bbq ribs with all the fixings and ended with apple pie for dessert. I decided that I did not want to start the New Year off on a diet so I threw caution to the wind for the day and let me tell you, I really should have had two forks to keep up with the amount of food I was trying to shove into my mouth.

It was a good first day of the New Year and by the evening I was completely tuckered out and ready for bed early.  I slept like a log.
I think that pretty well updates what we’ve been doing. 

Tune in again next episode for more great adventures from Rocky and Bullwinkle (a.k.a. Eric and Gale).   No kidding, some days it’s how our life feels!  LOL!!!       Anyway, take care till next update when you might hear me say  ”Hey Rocky, wanna see me pull a rabbit outa my hat?”  Might as well entertain him while we are sitting waiting for yet another appointment! *grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment