Monday, 20 January 2014



Posted on February 11, 2013 by Gale
 

I’m still here patiently (or not)  waiting for my transplant to happen but till it does there are a few things I am finding difficult to deal with as my illness progresses.  One is the incredible fatigue I experience, especially after what used to be the simplest tasks.

Things like doing my exercises will leave me dreaming of my bed and a nap all the way home and if we are returning from exercises in Toronto I do the head bob snooze most of the way home.  Grocery shopping has changed too.  I used to sprint around the store like I was in a race  and I took pride in beating my own record. I would leave any little old ladies who got in my way eating my dust. Now I’m the one making my way around the store with a walker and young people are nice to me.  They smile at me and hold doors for me and everything. Smart alecky whipper snappers!

Taking a shower has also become a major undertaking that requires advance planning and a bath chair. This activity also requires an after-shower rest.  I have a nap and feel refreshed for a couple hours before the fatigue once again returns.  The biggest trick I’ve learned is never to rush myself, always leave lots of time because the stress of feeling rushed exhausts me.  That was a big lesson for a person who used to wait till twenty minutes before I needed to be somewhere to start getting ready.

The second thing is the um…hmm..what was it again?  Oh yeah..the forgetfulness and confusion I experience sometimes.  The lady down the hall (I can’t think of her name right now) met up with me at the elevators.  She was telling me that she was going for the best fish and chips in town and told me the name of the place.  I told her that we always went to this really good place the name of which I can’t think of at the moment. I said I would get Eric to tell her next time he sees her.  I came in the door and told Eric that I met Ida (finally her name comes to me) and she told me of this wonderful place where she goes for fish and chips. Trouble is, you guessed it, I couldn’t remember the name of the place.  So I asked him to ask her where it is the next time he sees her and could he please tell her the place we always go to as well.   I take comfort in the knowledge that at  least I haven’t forgotten my own name yet.  (Psst, I’ll tell you a little secret. I always … um .. well nevermind, it probably wasn’t that important anyway).
The confusion and the forgetfulness probably tie in with my oxygen levels somehow but it is exasperating.  My family is aware that if I’m acting really confused (translated ‘dorky’) they should check my hosing to make sure everything is attached as it should be.  So far that has always been the problem and is easily solved. I should be very entertaining when I have the medication-induced hallucinations everyone tells me will happen post-operatively.

No comments:

Post a Comment