REMEMBERING BACK
A TRIBUTE TO MY DONOR
Thank you in advance for your generosity and compassion in choosing to become a donor.
Go to https://beadonor.ca/
PART 2
‘THE CALL’
April 19TH 2013
I attended TGH for my clinic appointment and my respirologist was quite
concerned with the results of my tests. I had performed poorly on the
pulmonary function test and also on my 6 minute walk test. Both these
indicated I had deteriorated significantly since my previous visit 6 weeks
earlier, so he changed my status to “rapidly declining” and asked if I
felt ready to be admitted to the hospital.
I did not want to be admitted yet (I think it still had not sunk in how seriously my condition had gone down), but I was reassured by the fact that if I needed to be, they would arrange for me to be admitted.
We were on our
way home around 3:30 p.m. when Eric’s cell phone rang. I did not want to be admitted yet (I think it still had not sunk in how seriously my condition had gone down), but I was reassured by the fact that if I needed to be, they would arrange for me to be admitted.
I got an instant adrenalin rush when the person said she was calling from Toronto General and that they had lungs for me.
I wish I could say that the next thought that
crossed my mind was for the donor and his family but in all honesty I was still
too gobsmacked to think that clearly.
I remember thinking and praying that this didn’t turn out to be a false alarm, although I knew only too well from listening to other people’s experiences that it easily could be if the lungs turned out not to be in good condition. I held my breath and used the back-seat-driver-brake
the whole time Eric cut across 3 lanes of traffic and took the next cut-off so we could head back to Toronto.
I remember thinking and praying that this didn’t turn out to be a false alarm, although I knew only too well from listening to other people’s experiences that it easily could be if the lungs turned out not to be in good condition. I held my breath and used the back-seat-driver-brake
the whole time Eric cut across 3 lanes of traffic and took the next cut-off so we could head back to Toronto.
TIMELINE AFTER ARRIVING AT TORONTO GENERAL
PRE-SURGICAL
When we arrived
back at the hospital Eric dropped us at the Elizabeth Street entrance and went
to park the car. My daughter Laurie and I went in and we walked down
and got a coffee and muffin. I know, I know, I shouldn’t have eaten but
it had been a long time since I had anything to eat and I knew it would be even
longer till I would get something to eat again, especially if the surgery was a
go. We finished our snack and then proceeded to admitting. I was
given a room on the 7th floor to wait
(and wait and wait) until we knew if the lungs were good enough to be
transplanted. Times are approximate but I’ll try to make a sequential
list of events as they happened.
v6-7
p.m. My youngest daughter Allison
and my 12 year old granddaughter Emma arrived.
v7:00 p.m.
Two doctors from the transplant team arrived to meet
me and informed me that the O.R. was tentatively scheduled for midnight. The
required tests and blood work were ordered.
v9 p.m.
Dr. B. returned to take
my history and informed me that the surgery time had been changed to 3 a.m.
v10 p.m.
Then Dr. D. came in (yes it felt
like they were taking turns J, and got me
started on my first dose of Cyclosporine which is an anti-rejection med so that
my body didn’t start rejecting the new lungs during the surgery. Dr. D.
told us he still hadn’t heard anymore with regard to the time of my surgery.
v11 p.m.
I finally fell asleep and Eric and
the kids went and found a place to try to get some rest as well. We knew
if this surgery went ahead it was going to be a very long day and we were
right!
April 20th 7
a.m. – Dr. D. came in to announce the surgery was a go. I honestly
didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. I was so happy
and excited, but I was also so terrified. I mean, this was it! They were
about to take the lungs I was born with out of my body, and put someone else’s
lungs in it.
v8:45
a.m. They came for me and took me to the O.R. My
family walked with me to the doors of the O.R. and we all hugged and kissed and
said goodbye till later. I remember that my 12 yr. old
granddaughter Emma cried a little but I re-assured her that I was going
to come through this surgery just fine and she seemed to settle down a bit
then.
v9 a.m.
I was fascinated
as I looked around the O.R.
v9:05 a.m.
Dr. Yasufuku, the surgeon, came over and introduced
himself to me and talked with me for a few minutes. He was so calm and
reassuring that his demeanor had a calming effect on me as well.
http://www.uhnresearch.ca/researchers/profile.php?lookup=14277
http://www.uhnresearch.ca/researchers/profile.php?lookup=14277
9:10 a.m.
The anesthetist came over next and introduced himself and his colleague and
then explained what they were about to do and that’s it, that’s all I
remember. The next conscious thought I had was when I woke up in ICU.
v10:00
a.m. Prepping was completed and surgery began.
v2:00 p.m.
Right lung was in and breathing & then they began the
left side
v 6:30 p.m.
The surgery was finished and the surgeon went out and
spoke to my family to explain all that had happened during the surgery. I
was moved to the ICU where I remain for the next 6 days.
IMMEDIATE POST
SURGICAL COMPLICATIONS
The first few
days were fairly uneventful although they did withhold the cyclosporine because
my creatinine levels were rising which is an indicator that my kidneys were not
functioning quite up to par. Considering the amount of drugs I had been
subjected to during the surgery and the first couple days afterwards and the
cyclosporine which is known to be hard on the kidneys, the elevated levels are
not surprising. They were hopeful that as my body adjusted, my kidneys
would also settle down.
v April 23rd
my kidneys were still being very fussy and not liking all the changes and
medications so the decision was made that I would need about 5 dialysis
treatments over the next 5 days.
v April 26th I was moved out of 10th floor Intensive Care Unit to the step-down unit on the other side of the ward. Also today my heart decided to throw a little tantrum and went into Atrial Fibrillation which I was told is also pretty common after this surgery.
v May 3rd
The A-Fib continued to the point
where they decided to transfer me back to the 10th floor
step-down unit so they could treat it and watch me a little more closely. They
ran some more diagnostic tests on me to make sure there were no blood clots or
any fluid in my lungs.
v May 6th
My condition had improved enough to move me back down to the 7th floor.
v May 8th
I spent the evening before going home packing up my things and then watching
Pollyanna and Summer Magic on my laptop to pass the time. I’ve always
been a sucker for both Haley Mills and Disney Movies. J
v May 9th
Discharge Day! I was finally
well enough to be discharged. I was very happy to be going home on this
day since it was our 43rd wedding
anniversary and also I would be at home to enjoy my birthday 3 days
later. I was still feeling weak and my legs were feeling quite wobbly so
I had to leave in my wheelchair but I didn’t care, I was just so happy to be
going home.


















No comments:
Post a Comment