Thursday, 23 January 2014


TIME FLIES
Wow! Time flies and it’s been a long time since I’ve updated my blog.  I decided the service I used before was just too much money so I decided to change blogger providers (hmm … is that even an actual term?) LOL.  It took me a long time to decide on one and then copy everything from the previous blog site to this one.  So I’m trying to think of any info or events to add that will bring everyone up to speed.

 
A lot has happened since I last wrote.  I can hardly believe how fast the time has gone but I am already due for my nine month checkup at Toronto General next Monday and Tuesday.  I had my six month checkup at the end of October/13 and sailed through it with flying colours.  No signs of rejection or fungal infections in my lungs. That’s terrific news for me.  The blood work showed that I had a mild CMV infection.  "Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a common virus that can infect almost anyone. Most people don't know they have CMV because it rarely causes symptoms. However, for people who have a weakened immune system, CMV is cause for concern."  I was put on the anti-viral medication Valganciclovir (Valcyte) for about 6 weeks at a therapeutic dose and then a couple weeks at a maintenance dose.  It seems to have been effective because my last few blood tests have shown no sign of any CMV infection.  

To my great frustration, one of the side effects my body has succumbed to is increased appetite and weight gain probably caused by the prednisone I have to take daily.  Hopefully they will be able to lower the dose eventually and my appetite and weight will decrease with the dosage of the pill.  The other side effect that I have is that I am getting downright furry. 


I am not sure if it is the cyclosporine or the prednisone that causes the excessive hair growth.  Perhaps both.  Anyway, it is definitely a side effect I have.  Still, when all is said and done and I look at the dramatic side effects many of these drugs are capable of causing, I’m amazed and thankful at how well my body accepts and copes with these drugs with only mild and/or very limited reaction to them.

I learned an interesting fact the last time I went to see my respirologist.  We were discussing my latest bronchoscopy. This is a procedure where they take a long thin flexible tube that has a light and camera attached to it and insert it down into each lung.   They look for any signs of infection or bleeding but my doctor said that one of the things that they cannot ‘see’ is rejection.  I just assumed they could see signs of rejection and that is part of what they look for during the bronchoscopy.  He told me that’s the reason biopsies are taken from various places in the lungs.  The tissue is then sent to a lab to be tested for rejection.  Only through these lab tests are they able to tell if the body is rejecting the transplanted lungs. 

On a different subject, we had a great Christmas and New Year this year.  It was so wonderful to be able to go shopping and not be so sick that I became exhausted or had to be pushed around in a wheelchair like I had to be last year.  No oxygen tanks to drag around.  I could walk and breathe and enjoy the season and the shopping and all the fun and excitement that goes with it. Last year this time I wasn’t even sure I would be around to celebrate another Christmas.  I baked cookies, decorated the tree and hosted Christmas Eve at our place. 

Simple things perhaps but things that I haven’t been able to do for the last couple years.   It was wonderful and with each activity I said a little prayer of gratitude for being able to do these things now and for the generosity of my donor who gave me these beautiful lungs. Speaking of which, I just saw a very touching story on the news where a young lady donated a piece of her liver to her neighbour and in doing so, saved her life.  What a truly heroic act.  I tip my hat to that brave and compassionate young lady.

Even though the New Year got off to a great start, there was some sadness too.  I heard about several transplant recipients who have died in the last couple weeks and that’s always tragic news.  I’ll be visiting the treadmill room when I go for my checkup next week but that’s often a mixed bag of news.  We hear the good news of the latest people who have received their precious gift of life and we rejoice but there is usually a downside too as we hear about those who tragically didn’t get their transplant in time and also those who got the transplant but due to various complications or rejection, they passed away.  It’s a delicate balance of emotions, learning to celebrate and rejoice the good news and successes and alternatively, mourning the losses.
 

The other sad news I got was that my dear friend Vicki passed away a few weeks ago from cancer.  I have known her since we were both 11 years old.  She and I were best friends during those all-important teen years and we were practically joined at the hip during that time.  Her family felt like my family because I knew them as well as my own and vice-versa.  Many of the firsts in our lives were shared with each other.  She was in my wedding and we both attended each others 40th anniversary parties a few years ago.  We always managed to keep in touch over the years and I will miss her.  Once again it hits home for me how truly blessed I am that I also had a life-threatening condition but was given a second chance through my lung transplant while she was not so fortunate.  She is gone but her memory will live on. 

 
Unfortunately I didn’t attend my friends’ memorial service because I have been avoiding large gatherings for the time being.  There are several nasty flu bugs going around right now.

Due to my anti-rejection drugs, my immune system is seriously compromised  so I am being extra cautious until the worst of it is over.  Needless to say I have had my flu shot but because my immune system is so suppressed there is some discussion as to how many antibodies my body is actually able to produce therefore anyone entering my home must have had their flu shot too.  I ask anyone who is ill to stay away till they have recovered and I wear a mask when entering doctors’ offices or go to the lab for blood work.  I don’t want to be paranoid about it but I also think it’s wise to take reasonable precautions and avoid large gatherings where chances are greater that someone may be harbouring the flu without knowing it.


Well I guess that’s about it for now.  I’ll add another entry after I have had my nine month check-up next week.  Till then, stay well and hope you have a great week.  Thanks for reading!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment