Monday, 20 January 2014



Posted on December 8, 2012 by Gale
 

Yesterday, Friday December 7, 2012 is a day I will alway remember because it is the day I was officially  put on the lung transplant list.
I am blessed to  have a very supportive family so when I went to Toronto General yesterday I was accompanied by my husband Eric, my sister Kathy, my daughter Laurie, my daughter Allison and my grandaughter Emma.  We met one of the six surgeons who take turns doing lung transplants and he laughed when he came in and said, “Whoa, lots of people!” He informed me that I will  get a bi-lateral lung transplant (means double lung transplant, not single lung), and then he spent time explaining to us what to expect, possible complications, some of the studies they conduct with the tissue samples they take during the surgery and finally he answered any questions we had.  I felt like he was very patient and informative.  I then signed all the required consents for the various studies and for the surgery.  I’m feeling a mixture of emotions. I’m excited about being listed and a little scared of the unknowns  but I think mostly I’m just relieved.
My sister Kathy said she was glad she came because it gave her a chance to see the hospital which she found impressive and she also found what the doctor said very informative.  Allison said that she too enjoyed hearing what the doctor had to say but wishes we could have met with more of the team but unfortunately the appointment we were supposed to have with the pre-transplant coordinator was cancelled because she was sick.  Unfortunate but unavoidable I’m afraid.  My husband and my daughter Laurie have been with me all the other times we have gone to the hospital so they knew what to expect already but still had a few questions for the doctor.  My 12 year old grandaughter Emma was very quiet (this is an odd phenomenon *grin*) and mostly just played on her DS and wanted to know when we were going to go eat!  She was mostly bored I think.
During the coming months till I get my transplant I will spend a great deal of time at the hospital in Toronto, particulary in the next month.  I will have to go there three times a week for exercises in addition to the many other appointments and tests.   As I’ve explained in earlier posts, I have pulmonary hypertension secondary to the fibrosis but because they class my high pressures as severe, I also have to attend a clinic for this as well.  I go to my first appointment on Monday and I’m not sure what to expect  but I will write about it when I know more.
Laurie said she couldn’t believe how subdued we all were when I was signing the papers and she thought everyone would be more happy and excited.  After all, it wasn’t an easy path to get this far which is true.  I’m not sure why we were all so solemn.  She also suggested that since this was so important,  we should take a few pictures of me signing the forms to remember this occasion.  I thought that was an excellent idea so we took a few minutes to take some.  Thank you Laurie,  I wouldn’t have thought of that.   I’m posting one on here.  And so the wait for two new lungs begins.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment